Thursday, July 3, 2008

Are You Static or Dynamic?

“And what about us? Why do we put ourselves in danger every hour? I die every day.”---I Corinthians 15:30-31 (NCV)

“When you are through changing, you are through.”---Bruce Barton


Are you staying open? (Psalm 119:18) I hope so.

I don’t know about you, but since really focusing on that word (in a spiritual sense), life has gotten really interesting for me. For instance, a couple of days ago, I had to go to a computer training class. Please believe that it took everything in me to remain “open” about it (I hate that kind of stuff!), but had I not, I would have missed the message that I’m about to share; one that will be relatively brief. (Merry Christmas, Cory!)

As the techie was taking us, via teleconference, through various sections of the site, he said something that caused my director to make fun of me (in a good way). Of course, because the truth makes you free (John 8:32) and God detests liars (Proverbs 6:16-17), I must admit that I wasn’t listening as intently as I probably should have been. Therefore, I can’t recall what the woman asked that prompted him to give this response. Either way, whatever she said, I’m glad that she did:

Techie: “Well, is your site ‘static’ or ‘dynamic’?”

The Lady: (Dead air)

Techie: “That’s a technical term that means is your website the same every time people go to it or does it change with every visit or when they refresh it?”

That was when my director smiled because he saw my mind racing. “Oh, I’ll bet where gonna see a devotional on this one.” (See, why you’ve gotta watch what comes out of your mouth?---Proverbs 18:21)

As I got to thinking, I found myself really falling in love with that terminology. When you are ‘static’, you are “lacking movement, development, or vitality”. Every time someone sees you, calls you or talks to you, you are always on the same stuff, or as my dad puts it, you need to “flip over your tape because everyone has already heard that side.” You’re always complaining about the same things (Philippians 2:14), you always have the same insights and philosophies (Isaiah 43:19) and your life always seems to be stagnate when it comes to vision, purpose and progression. (Jeremiah 29:11)

Oh, but when you are ‘dynamic’, you are “characterized by energy or effective action; vigorously active or forceful; energetic”. Again, I JUST LOVE THAT!

Does the word “forceful” make you nervous? It shouldn’t. If you abide in Christ, you dwell in the presence of the Father (John 15:5) and the Word says that, “…from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.” (Matthew 11:12) Being a dynamic person is being a godly person, but it ain’t for the weak-minded, it ain’t for the lazy, it ain’t for the spiritually passive, it ain’t for punks.

When you make the conscious effort to be led by the Spirit, you make the decision to become one of the sons (or daughters) of God (Romans 8:14). God is righteous IN ALL HIS WORKS (Daniel 9:14); God is able (Luke 3:8); God is Spirit (John 4:24), God is holy (I Corinthians 3:17); God is not (merely) in Word but in power (I Corinthians 4:20); God is faithful (I Corinthians 10:13), GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF CONFUSION…or DRAMA…or CYCLIC BEHAVIOR (I Corinthians 14:33); God is not mocked (Galatians 6:7); God is good (I Timothy 4:4); God is not forgetful of good works (Hebrews 6:10); God is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:12); God is light (John 1:5); God is greater than our hearts (I John 3:20), God is love (I John 4:16).

To become these things, to be a reflection of our Father, this requires constant change, this requires forceful effort (of the spirit against the flesh---Galatians 5:17), this requires being dynamic----this requires dying to ourselves daily so that we can become like God---so that we can receive the benefits of godly living:

“For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live].”---Ephesians 2:10 (AMP)

So, no plans for this weekend? I hope this motivates you to CHANGE your mind. As for me, I look forward to having a DYNAMIC one! Life’s too short to cling to STATIC. (Proverbs 27:1)

©Shellie R. Warren/

No comments: